Base Ten Blocks Part 2: Center Ideas and Guided Math Group Lessons
Base ten blocks are great manipulatives for practicing place value. Here are 10 of my favorite virtual base ten sites! I would use these in three ways. First, I would use them as whole group instruction on an interactive board. Second, I would have the students work on them during center time at the computers. Third, I would pull small groups to the computers and hold some guided lessons there using these sites.
1. http://www.learningbox.com/base10/BaseTen.html ( I like this game, especially the drumroll and how everything reinforces place value)
2. http://www.learningbox.com/base10/CatchTen.html (this is fun but I never can seem to get the bear to catch ten!)
3. http://www.learningbox.com/base10/Estimation.html (great for estimating amounts)
4.http://ejad.best.vwh.net/java/b10blocks/b10blocks.html (be sure to read the instructions at the bottom of the page…great for smartboard teaching)
5.***** http://ulm.edu/~esmith/nctmregional/blocks.htm (this is an excellent resource for teaching operations with virtual base ten blocks)
Virtual Library Resources:
7. http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/frames_asid_154_g_2_t_1.html?from=category_g_2_t_1.html (base ten block addition)
8. http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/frames_asid_155_g_2_t_1.html?from=category_g_2_t_1.html (base ten block subtraction)
9. http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/frames_asid_154_g_2_t_1.html?from=category_g_2_t_1.html (base ten block decimals)
10. http://www.glencoe.com/sites/common_assets/mathematics/ebook_assets/vmf/VMF-Interface.html (choose grade level and then choose manipulative in this case base ten blocks and then choose background: workmat.) You can write, color and do some cool stuff on this site!